2020 Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park Powered by Hagerty
- July 02, 2020 - 05:00 PM EDT to July 04, 2020 - 05:00 PM EDT
The Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour is an engaging, accessible and inclusive nationwide tour designed to give enthusiasts the chance to push limits on track, to experience cars bound only by budget and imagination and to enjoy off-track social activities featuring food, media, photography and fun. Camping at the track is encouraged, friends and family are welcome and food and drink are available on site.
The 2020 running of the Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour at Thompson is a special one. This event marks the 75th-anniversary of the first ever SCCA on-track competition. In 1944, on nearly the same date and at the same location, the SCCA hosted a competition which included full laps of the oval and point-to-point standing-start runs of portions of the yet to be completed road course.
Please join us for this magnificent anniversary event.
ON-TRACK, drivers will tackle the 1.7-Mile Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park and vie for the best single lap during TimeAttack lapping sessions and combine that with a furious no-endurance needed point-to-point TrackSprint events. The best times from each will be combined to determine finishing order and the top three overall and in each class stand on the KONI Podium and take home the trophies.
OFF-TRACK: Those who want to experience the action, excitement and festivities of a Time Trials National Tour are not limited to drivers. Tech Officials, Timing and Scoring gurus and more are welcome at the event and at the parties. Helping as a volunteer, worker or officials costs nothing and those interested can apply by using the link below.
|Event Lead||John Hunter
|Competition Director||Kathy Barnes
|Driver Coaches||Jon Krolewicz, Greg Amy, Dick Patullo, John Santos|
A. GENERAL RULES: This event is governed by the 2019 SCCA Time Trial Rules (TTR), National Competition Format and National Classing as outlined at timetrials.scca.com plus the rules and procedures found on this page.
B. PASSING & TRACK PROCEDURES: Groups will use the suggested passing rules and procedures for Novice, Intermediate and Advanced Drivers as outlined in the “Rules of The Track” section found at timetrials.scca.com.
C. CLOTHING: Drivers are required to wear the minimum clothing outlined in the SCCA Time Trials Rules for their car and class. Safe apparel must be worn in the pits at all times (shirts and closed toe shoes). Crew members on pit lane must display their event credentials at all times while on pit lane.
D. PACED LAPS: Paced Laps are intended for Novice Drivers and Drivers who have never seen the track. Other drivers may join with permission of their group's driver coach if they join at the back and track density permits.
E. PIT LANE: The speed limit on pit road is 25 mph. No tire scrubbing in the pit lane prior to entering the course.
F. IMPOUND: Drivers will report to impound for post-session debriefs immediately following each session.
G. RESULTS: Live timing will be available during the event at timetrials.scca.com. Provisional and final results will be posted at the Event Center. Additionally, final results will be posted to timetrials.scca.com no later than seven days following the completion of the event.
H. FLAG PROCEDURES: Black Flag Station and other event-specific flagging procedures will be announced at the event.
I. SCALES: Location and Requirements will be available at check-in.
J. EVENT SCHEDULE: Actual session start times may be delayed from the published schedule due to unforeseen circumstances during the event. It is the driver’s responsibility to listen to the PA system and pay attention to activity on track. The schedule or run groups may only be changed (or start times advanced) at the discretion of the Competition Director, with concurrence by the Event Lead, depending on pre-race entry counts or as needed to accommodate situations during the event.
K. COMMUNICATIONS: Radio frequencies used by event officials may be monitored but shall not be used for communication by any participant.
Driver Eligibility & Information
A. DRIVER ELIGIBILITY: The event is open to all drivers with a valid state driver's license and a full or weekend membership to the SCCA. If you don't have a membership you can join or include the weekend membership when you register.
B. TIME TRIALS LICENSES: It will help if you have one, but it's OK if you don't. Event officials will work with you to make sure you get one fitting your experience level at the event. (No charge.)
C. MEDICAL: Please notify the Officials of any pertinent medical condition(s). Any participants involved in an accident in which there is significant damage or any injury, or at a race official’s discretion, MUST present themselves or be transported to the track medical facility for evaluation. Off-site medical transportation fees may apply.
D. MINOR DRIVERS: Drivers 16- and 17-years-old, with a state-issued driver's license can compete, but there is some extra paperwork. Please contact Officials before the event and get approval from the Event Lead.
Vehicle Eligibility & Information
A. VEHICLE ELIGIBILITY: Competition is open to all vehicles conforming to the National Time Trials Classes.
B. DECALS: All cars must have Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour decals and any required partner decals visibly placed on each side of the vehicle and a Tire Rack windshield banner at the top of the front windshield. Decals will be provided free of charge and may be obtained at registration and/or tech. A diagram of sticker placement for Time Trials National Tour events can be found here: Time Trials National Tour Decal Placement. A diagram of sticker placement for Time Trials Nationals can be found here: Time Trials Nationals Decal Placement.
C. TECHNICAL INSPECTION: All vehicles must be presented at tech to turn in tech forms and pass the event safety inspection (Tech) if required prior to any on-course participation. Tech may also check event sponsor decal requirements and verify compliance of Vehicle Identification. Competitors are cautioned that color combinations such as red/black, red/blue, and white/silver do not have adequate contrast.
D. TIMING & SCORING: All cars are required to use fully operational MyLaps/AMB TranX260 or X2 transponders. The driver is responsible for providing correct information to Timing & Scoring. Non-functioning transponders will likely result in the loss of times.
E. RENTAL TRANSPONDERS: Rental transponders are available through registration.
Thompson Track Information
To ensure that all guests have a safe and enjoyable visit to TSMP, the following rules and regulations are in effect.
Entry & Admittance
1. All individuals must have the proper credentials for the area(s) they are seeking access to.
2. Children under the age of sixteen (16) must be accompanied by an adult while in the paddocks. For their safety and that of others, children must be kept under adult supervision at all times.
3. Persons under eighteen (18) years of age are not permitted in the hot pits or at corner stations.
4. TSMP allows pets at its events; however all pets must be leashed and cleaned up after. Pets are not permitted in hot pit areas.
5. TSMP shall have the right, at any time, in its sole discretion, to refuse admission to or eject from TSMP or from any facility in TSMP any person for conduct which may be unsafe, discourteous, verbally or physically abusive, influenced by alcohol, drugs, or controlled substances, or may otherwise diminish the safety, health, or enjoyment of others on the premises
Vehicle & Paddock Rules
1. Vehicle parking at TSMP will vary per event and will be directed by either event personnel or by security personnel
2. No vehicles of any kind are permitted on the Race Course, Autocrosses and Skid Pad without the express consent of TSMP. No motor vehicles are permitted on any courses or tracks after the track is closed/cold for the day.
3. The garages will be opened each morning at 7am and closed nightly at 6pm, unless other arrangements are agreed upon.
4. The traffic flow in the paddock is counter clockwise. In other words, when traveling in the garage area the building should stay to the driver’s left. In addition, cords may not run across the travel lane during on track activity. Cords being run while the track is cold must be covered by a yellow jacket cable protector.
5. The bridge entering the paddock only allowed for one way travel. The lights on either side of the bridge allowing ingress and egress to the paddock are on a timer. The lights will change approximately every 90 seconds, and must by obeyed.
6. Race/unmuffled engines may not be started prior to 8:30 am, Monday through Saturday, and 12 noon on Sunday. The starting of race/unmuffled engines prior to these times is expressly forbidden and violators may be subject to immediate removal from EVENT. Unless otherwise indicated, engine noises may not exceed TSMP’s 103 dB limit.
7. Tow hooks are strongly recommended to expedite the towing process. If there are no tow hooks available, the towing crew will hook onto other areas that may cause damage to the vehicle being towed. The tow crew will not be held responsible or liable for said damage.
8. Smoking is not permitted in the hot pits, anywhere that fuel is being dispensed or in any facility building or garage.
9. Alcoholic beverages are permitted in the paddocks and pits fifteen (15) minutes after on-track activity has ceased for the day and until 10:00 pm. TSMP has the right to suspend driving privileges for any driver found to be out of compliance.
10. Standing on pit wall is not permitted. Sitting or leaning on pit wall is also not permitted.
11. Drivers are required to wear long pants on track.
12. During events in the hot areas (corner stations, pit lane, etc.) long pants and closed toe shoes must be worn.
13. To facilitate emergency vehicle access, race and personal vehicles must not be parked on any paddock road or safety access lane during an Event. Any vehicle not in compliance will be towed at User’s expense.
14. Anyone caught driving recklessly will be removed from the property, per management. Anyone placing themselves or others in danger will be removed from the property. Tickets and/or hard card credentials will be confiscated from anyone removed from the property. All Connecticut state laws will be applicable and enforced by the Connecticut State Police. We ask our fans to report anyone not obeying the above conditions by calling 860-923-2280. After hours, please report suspicious behavior to onsite security.
1. Children under the age of sixteen (16) are not permitted to drive golf carts or operate any other motorized vehicles at TSMP. This applies to all golf carts, whether rented from TSMP or privately owned.
2. The use of non-golf cart personal paddock vehicles (i.e. atv) are allowed in the paddock only. Golf carts may be operated anywhere on the facility. Common sense and care must be exercised and applied to the use of such vehicles. Non register-able personal powered vehicles including skates, skateboards, razor scooters, mini-bikes and similar devices under 125cc are NOT permitted in the paddock. Children are strongly discouraged from riding bicycles during on track activity.
3. All ATVs, Golf Carts, Bicycles and other pit and paddock vehicles must be "Parked at Dark."
4. Firearms and fireworks are prohibited on TSMP property at all times.
5. Fires are allowed only in designated camping areas and must be in containers designed for that purpose. Small home grills, hibachis and small gas grills are permitted in the paddocks, if operated in a safe manner, and for individual cooking.
6. Do not pound stakes or make any holes in any asphalt surface. Do not paint any asphalt surface. Offenders will be held liable for all damages and may be ejected. If you must temporarily jack a vehicle on asphalt, metal or wood must be under the jack/jack stands. Jack stands must be used for anyone to be under a car.
7. Fluid wastes must be placed in approved TSMP disposal containers located at various sites in the paddocks and NEVER on the ground.
8. Fences are not permitted to be climbed. Only those with proper credentials are allowed in front of spectator fences. No standing is permitted on the Armco on either side of the bridge.
9. Entrants found responsible for damage to the track, autocross courses, skid pad, and other facilities, including but not limited to damage to structures, asphalt, Armco, safety barriers, tire walls, shrubbery, and trees may be charged for repairs.
1. Aerial photography, or the taking of photographs or video by individuals from an elevated position in which the camera is not supported by a ground-based structure, such as remote controlled fixed-wing or multi-rotor Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) drones, balloons, blimps and dirigibles, rockets, kites, parachutes, stand alone telescoping and vehicle mounted poles, either triggered remotely or automatically must be approved by TSMP personal before use on property. Violators in possession and/or operation at any time without permission will be subject to confiscation of their unmanned aircraft, immediate removal from the property, and further prosecution by Law Enforcement.
2. The official track photographers of TSMP are Clarus Studios. Other photographers and media members must request, and be approved, for media credentials ten (10) days prior to the event date. During track rentals and events, authorized photographers have
access to specified areas through approved entry points. Failure to comply may result in loss of privileges. Non commercial photography is allowed at TSMP for public events.
2020 Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park Powered by Hagerty
July 2-4, 2020
Thursday, July 2
Friday, July 3
||Worker Meeting (Location TBA)
|8:00AM||Driver Briefing - (Location TBA)
|8:50AM||Group 1 - RED - Practice Session 1
Group 5 - GREEN - Novice Group Briefing
|9:10AM||Group 2 - ORANGE - Practice Session 1|
|9:30AM||Group 3 - YELLOW - Practice Session 1|
|9:50AM||Group 4 - BLUE - Practice Session 1|
||Group 5 - GREEN - Practice Session 1
|10:50AM||Group 1 - RED - Practice Session 2|
|11:10AM||Group 2 - ORANGE - Practice Session 2|
|11:30AM||Group 3 - YELLOW - Practice Session 2|
|11:50AM||Group 4 - BLUE - Practice Session 2|
||Group 5 - GREEN - Practice Session 2
|1:30PM||Group 1 - RED - Time Attack 1: Session 1|
|1:50PM||Group 2 - ORANGE - Time Attack 1: Session 1
|2:10PM||Group 3 - YELLOW - Time Attack 1: Session 1
|2:30PM||Group 4 - BLUE - Time Attack 1: Session 1
||Group 5 - GREEN - Time Attack 1: Session 1
|3:20PM||Group 1 - RED - Time Attack 1: Session 2|
||Group 2 - ORANGE - Time Attack 1: Session 2
||Group 3 - YELLOW - Time Attack 1: Session 2
||Group 4 - BLUE - Time Attack 1: Session 2
||Group 5 - GREEN - Time Attack 1: Session 2|
|5:00PM||Group photo on the oval!|
|5:30PM||Distanced Grab & Go Tailgate Party presented by Hagerty|
Saturday, July 4
|TS GROUP 1
S5, S6, T4
|TS GROUP 2
S4, T3, T5
|TS GROUP 3
S1, S2, S3, T1, T2, P3, P4
|TS GROUP 4
U1, U2, M1, M2, M3, P1, P2
|8:00AM||TrackSprint Info Meeting|
|8:30AM||TrackSprint Sessions - Groups run consecutively, 1—4
|10:40AM||Group 1 - RED - Time Attack 2: Session 1|
|11:00AM||Group 2 - ORANGE - Time Attack 2: Session 1|
|11:20AM||Group 3 - YELLOW - Time Attack 2: Session 1|
|11:40PM||Group 4 - BLUE - Time Attack 2: Session 1|
||Group 5 - GREEN - Time Attack 2: Session 1
|1:20PM||Group 1 - RED - Time Attack 2: Session 2|
|1:40PM||Group 2 - ORANGE - Time Attack 2: Session 2|
|2:00PM||Group 3 - YELLOW - Time Attack 2: Session 2|
|2:20PM||Group 4 - BLUE - Time Attack 2: Session 2|
||Group 5 - GREEN - Time Attack 2: Session 2
|3:45PM||KONI PODIUM CELEBRATION|
Payments, Withdrawals & Refunds
A. REGISTRATION: Online Registration is preferred, but drivers without the ability to enter online may request a call-in registration by e-mailing the address below or may request a paper entry form and mail it with their entry fees to the SCCA National Office:
6620 SE Dwight Street
Topeka, KS 66619
Do not mail entries by any method that requires a signature upon delivery.
B. PAYMENTS, WITHDRAWALS & REFUNDS: Credit card payment is required for online registration. Full refund will be given for withdraws requested before the event. All withdrawals must be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.