• RXNC-PC

2016 RallyCross Rules

Will the information from the previous forum be pulled forward to this forum?  There was discussion on the 2016 RallyCross Rules that should be brought forward to this forum to continue those discussions.

• Post to Thread
    • Jayson Woodruff

Well I finally got around to searching this down.  Regarding the body rules of Mod... The genie is out of the bottle for a lot of us already.  We've had the allowance to remove bumpers and other specific items for about a decade now.  The proposed wording is a pretty big take back. 

I'm guessing it'll cost me about $1000 to comply with appropriate, somewhat light weight aftermarket bumpers and quite a bit of ingenuity to get them to stay on solidly.  I expect I'll destroy one every couple years as well. 

And what would we be buying for this change?  As was mentioned, you can't regulate aesthetics, so there'll still be plenty of ugly cars out there.  Lemons and Chump still manage to attract plenty of sponsors.  In fact my personal sponsors love that the miata is always dirty and ugly, it gets A LOT of eye balls when I park at the AutoX.  If a car is to ugly, it's not going to make the magazine cover... No harm done.

Additionally, we have a couple past/future chump/lemons that regularly run with us and usually several more that pass through our program.  I'd hate to lose them.

Jay W

• Warren F Elliott

We can not make the cover because the mag was held up for the pavement jockeys.

• Jim Golden

4.d.  Driver restraints and roll cage may be added. Modification (or removal if modification is not reasonable) of interior panels and seat parts necessary for proper installation of driver restraints and roll cages is permitted.

I have said this before, but safety components need be installed as a system, not with bits here and pieces there. An all OEM system which was designed and engineered that way, is safter then a stock seat with a harness that poorly fit around it and a cage sitting right above your head. The harness and/or cage could cause injury or death when used with a seat that was not designed for use with them. A stock seat is not designed with these things in mind and this causes a major safety issue. I believe that in stock class you need to allows full bucket seats, harness, rollbar/cage, HANs and other saftey devices or nothing at all. Those are the two safest options. Anything else just makes the car less safe. More to the point, bending bars around existing interior bits also makes the cage less safe so I think this rule goes in the right direction but needs to be taken even farther.

• Mark Macoubrie

6.2.D.15 states "4wd vehicles may not substitute more than one differential with an alternate type".  I belive this should be changed to allow 4wd to replace both.  My logic is that if a FWD or RWD is allowed to change the differntial on its drive wheels or "all differentials" on the car why would this not apply to AWD.  If I want to change the final gear ratio I am allowed to do that in FWD and RWD but not AWD.

• Warren F Elliott

I do not think you can change the gear ratio in prep. Awd has three diffs. When the rule went into effect I did not agree with letting two wheelers changing all thier diffs and awd only changing one third of theirs.

• Mark Macoubrie

Agreed completely. Changing 1/3 of the differentials for gearing is useless in an AWD car.

• Mark Macoubrie

It would be my understanding if you can change the diff in prep in FWD or RWD there is no restriction that prevents a gear ratio change.  So a gear ratio change is allowed in FWD and RWD but not AWD.  The performacne change premise should be the same for all classes to be equitable.  I was not sure why "one" was identified specifically instead of allowing differntials to be changed. 

I may be misunderstanding the rule and a gear ratio change is not allowed.  Is the rule that only the type of differntial is allowed to change. 

In either case if all differentials can be changed in a RWD or FWD the same should be allowed for AWD to be equitable.  I would be fine with not allowiing it for all cars but prefer it be equiitable for all vehicles.

• Josh Armantrout

My thoughts, in itallics:

3.  Allow non-competitor passengers at divisional and national events.  

This seems to open a whole new level of potential compettitive advantage. As noted by others, the passengers could act as co-drivers and work with more than one car at the event. As written, they could also sit anywhere in the vehicle, acting as ballast. I feel that the stated purpose isn't worth the downsides, and that the National events should be taken seriously and aren't the time for showing friends a good time. Passengers are already allowed during the parade lap, which I would think should meet the stated intent.

4.  Allow alternate wheel sizes in Stock classes.  

It seems to me that we either need to go with Option A, allowing any wheel size specc'ed by the manufacturer, or simplify the goal of B by just saying that wheel diameter is open as long as they don't foul the brakes. Why complicate it further?

If Option B is chosen, the definition of "OEM Wheel" must still be addressed as it is in Option A, otherwise it remains vague.

Additionally, if spacers are defined as allowed then we also need a notation that longer lug bolts/studs are allowed. If not, you create a safety situation. I'd support a simple rule that any lug nuts/bolts/studs can be used as long as the same number per wheel are used as in the stock configuration. That would allow cars with lug bolts to change to studs too, which is a convenience factor.

8.  Allow UTVs with specified safety equipment to compete, perhaps in a separate class

They seem to have a solid history running safely with large classes in other clubs, so I think this is a great addiiton. To start a single UTV class with simple rules around maximum mods, and with specified safety equipment, should be fine. Karts are allowed in autocross, so there's plenty of precident within the SCCA for allowing non-standard "cars".

11. Rotate the location of the National Championship every year, similar to the Runoffs.

Some stability is good, so either sticking with one location for a couple years at a time or rotating between a couple seems like a good idea. The surface at Indianola was so good, it would be a shame not to take advantage of it again if they wil have us back.

• Evan Arthur

My Thoughts:

1.  Restructure the current rule book to put key event operations and vehicle classification sections in the front portion of the rules and move the administrative sections to the back.  This would make it easier for readers to access information about RallyCross events and vehicle preparation allowances.  Submitted by the RXB.

- No opinion.

2.  Change maximum sustained speed from 60 mph to 50 mph.  This creates a more consistent speed progression with RallySprint 1 (60 mph) and RallySprint II (70 mph) guidelines.  This would not prohibit the fastest vehicles from momentarily exceeding 50 mph, but would require that courses be designed to avoid sustained speeds over 50 mph.  Submitted by the RXB.

- I don't think there is any reason for this, RallySprint 1 should have enough differences to not provide any confusion with Rallycross. From what I have heard so far I don't think Rallysprint is going to be popular enough in many regions to have much overlap with Rallycross.

5.3 COURSE SAFETY AND LAYOUT RULES

Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed 40 mph (miles per hour) for Stock category vehicles and should not normally exceed 50 60 mph for any vehicle. 

3.  Allow non-competitor passengers at divisional and national events.  Drivers would not be allowed to ride as passengers.  This change would potentially increase participation at national-level events by allowing competitors to bring family and friends along for rides and help generate more interest in our sport.

5.2.C. EVENT OPERATING RULES

Competitors Passengers are not allowed as passengersduring competition runs in National Events.

-This is fine.

4.  Allow alternate wheel sizes in Stock classes.   This change would provide more tire and wheel options for modern cars with large diameter wheels and older vehicles with difficult-to-find small diameter wheels.  Also add clarification that wheel spacers are considered part of the wheel. 

Option A:

6.2.C. VEHICLE CLASSIFICATION - Stock  Category

12. Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:  Wheels must be of the same diameter and width as the OEM wheel factory installed, port-installed option, or recommended size listed in the owner’s manual.  Wheel offset (backspace) must be within 0.394” (10mm) of the original equipment wheel offset factory installed, port-installed option, or recommended size listed in the owner’s manual.

Option B:

12. Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:  Wheel diameter may be increased or decreased up to 1” from the OEM wheel.  Wheel width may be increased or decreased up to 0.5” from the OEM wheel. Wheels must be the same diameter and width as the OEM wheel.  Wheel offset (backspace) must be within 0.394” (10mm) of the original equipment wheel offset. Wheel spacers are considered part of the wheel.

- Option B is better than the current rules but I believe wheel diameter should be unlimited providing stock brakes and other related parts are not modified to fit the wheels. 

5.  Clarify allowances for roll cage installation in Stock categories. This change would allow modification or removal of interior components to accommodate the installation of a roll cages and driver restraints.

4.d.  Driver restraints and roll cage may be added. Modification (or removal if modification is not reasonable) of interior panels and seat parts necessary for proper installation of driver restraints and roll cages is permitted.

- This is fine. 

6.  Allow the exhaust system to exit behind the driver (current rule) or exit the side of the car (proposed) in Modified categories. This would allow the exhaust to exit to the side of the vehicle ahead of the driver, such as immediately in front or behind the front wheels.

6.2.E. VEHICLE CLASSIFICATION – Modified  Category

1. Exhaust systems may be replaced with any material with the following requirements:

a. The exhaust must exit to the rear of the driver or to the side of the vehicle.

- Sure.

7.  Allow tube framed vehicles to compete in Modified categories.  Provide further guidance on Modified preparation allowances.  The RXB welcomes members’ input to help guide the future direction of Modified preparation allowances.

- If tube framed vehicles were allowed in modified I think prepared should allow more modifications. I would rather see an additional "Unlimited" class added for purpose built vehicles. 

8.  Allow UTVs with specified safety equipment to compete, perhaps in a separate class. Insurance underwriting review and approval will be needed for this change.  RallyCross is currently based on passenger vehicles.  Should we open the door to non-passenger type vehicles?  This might be a good opportunity for a region to propose, develop and pilot a UTV class, including proposed safety requirements.  

- I think this would provide some growth.  

9.  Provide more guidance on the general appearance of Modified category vehicles. Current rules require that, “The shape of the body must remain recognizable as that of manufacturer’s make and model.”  This revision would provide additional requirements to help make sure vehicles meet minimum body appearance expectations.  For example, the front bumper cover could be replaced or modified, but not removed.

1.  All non‐essential components may be removed, replaced or relocated for the purpose of weight reduction or balance with the following requirements:

d.  Doors, hoods, trunk lids, sunroofs, hatchbacks, etc., need not function as originally designed; however, the driver door and passenger doors (if a passenger seat is present) must maintain sufficient functionality to allow safe ingress/egress. Bumpers, grilles, lights and trim may be removed. Side mirrors and tail/stop lights are not required.  Grilles and trim pieces may be modified, removed, or replaced with a replica of alternate material. Bumpers not integral to the bodywork, and their associated mounting hardware, may be modified or removed. Bumpers integral to the bodywork may be modified or replaced with replicas of alternate material. Modified or replica bumpers must be of similar shape as standard components, and not confuse the identity of the vehicle. Lights may be modified or removed, provided any remaining openings must be covered with a wire mesh screen or panel of fiberglass, metal, or similar non-flammable material.  Side mirrors may be removed or modified.

- I would rather have wording that states that bumpers may be modified or changed but do not have to have the same appearance as stock. I would like more creativity allowed with bodywork that can change the appearance but doesn't make it look unfinished or simply stripped of everything that will unbolt. 

10. Improve coordination of regional, divisional and national event scheduling to avoid schedule conflicts and promote higher attendance.  Since the event scheduling process is not currently defined in the rules, this suggestion has been forwarded to the RXB as an operational improvement recommendation.

- No opinion right now. 

11. Rotate the location of the National Championship every year, similar to the Runoffs. Since the process for determining the location of the RXNC is not currently defined in the rules, this suggestion has been forwarded to the RXB for consideration.

- Only if there are some established sites that we rotate through. With a brand new site every year we are just asking for problems. 

• Susan Ann Lawson

OVERVIEW OF 2016 SCCA RALLYCROSS RULE CHANGE PROPOSALS

Below is a summary of proposed 2016 rule changes submitted for member comment. (Additions are in bold underline and deletions are in strikethrough.) Please submit your feedback using this forum by September 15.

1.  Restructure the current rule book to put key event operations and vehicle classification sections in the front portion of the rules and move the administrative sections to the back.  

* Yes please YES!

2.  Change maximum sustained speed from 60 mph to 50 mph.  

* Seems unnecessary, I mean who looks at their speedo during an event, and does anyone else really measure?  I feel like I trust our course designers to have everyone's safety in mind when designing the course.

3.  Allow non-competitor passengers at divisional and national events.  Drivers would not be allowed to ride as passengers.  This change would potentially increase participation at national-level events by allowing competitors to bring family and friends along for rides and help generate more interest in our sport.

* Sure why not?  Though I have had more than one person tell me they do better with a passenger, so for some it could be a competitive advantage for whatever reason. (Weight distribution, coach etc...)

4.  Allow alternate wheel sizes in Stock classes.   This change would provide more tire and wheel options for modern cars with large diameter wheels and older vehicles with difficult-to-find small diameter wheels.  Also add clarification that wheel spacers are considered part of the wheel. 

Option A:

12. Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:  Wheels must be of the same diameter and width as the OEM wheel factory installed, port-installed option, or recommended size listed in the owner’s manual.  Wheel offset (backspace) must be within 0.394” (10mm) of the original equipment wheel offset factory installed, port-installed option, or recommended size listed in the owner’s manual.

Option B:

12. Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:  Wheel diameter may be increased or decreased up to 1” from the OEM wheel.  Wheel width may be increased or decreased up to 0.5” from the OEM wheel. Wheels must be the same diameter and width as the OEM wheel.  Wheel offset (backspace) must be within 0.394” (10mm) of the original equipment wheel offset. Wheel spacers are considered part of the wheel.

* YES option B!

5.  Clarify allowances for roll cage installation in Stock categories. This change would allow modification or removal of interior components to accommodate the installation of a roll cages and driver restraints.

* Removal of seat *parts* or the entire seat?  Removal of entire seats is unacceptable.  I know seats only weigh a few pounds, but once you start removing entire seats it starts to look and feel like a mod car.  I'm ok with removing some seat foam to accomodate a cage, but not an entire seat.  If you can't take your wife and kids safely to the store in a stock car, it's not a stock car.

6.  Allow the exhaust system to exit behind the driver (current rule) or exit the side of the car (proposed) in Modified categories. This would allow the exhaust to exit to the side of the vehicle ahead of the driver, such as immediately in front or behind the front wheels.

1. Exhaust systems may be replaced with any material with the following requirements:

a. The exhaust must exit to the rear of the driver or to the side of the vehicle.

* Eh, not much input on this one... if local events are worried about sound they can create supps that prohibit this.

7.  Allow tube framed vehicles to compete in Modified categories.  Provide further guidance on Modified preparation allowances.  The RXB welcomes members’ input to help guide the future direction of Modified preparation allowances.

* I think this if allowed, it should be in it's own class as it is quite the weight savings and very much unlimited.  Plus there's no real safety checks on the construction of these vehicles.

8.  Allow UTVs with specified safety equipment to compete, perhaps in a separate class. Insurance underwriting review and approval will be needed for this change.  RallyCross is currently based on passenger vehicles.  Should we open the door to non-passenger type vehicles?  This might be a good opportunity for a region to propose, develop and pilot a UTV class, including proposed safety requirements.  

* NOPE!  ...Next!

9.  Provide more guidance on the general appearance of Modified category vehicles.  Current rules require that, “The shape of the body must remain recognizable as that of manufacturer’s make and model.”  This revision would provide additional requirements to help make sure vehicles meet minimum body appearance expectations.  For example, the front bumper cover could be replaced or modified, but not removed.

1.  All non‐essential components may be removed, replaced or relocated for the purpose of weight reduction or balance with the following requirements:

d.  Doors, hoods, trunk lids, sunroofs, hatchbacks, etc., need not function as originally designed; however, the driver door and passenger doors (if a passenger seat is present) must maintain sufficient functionality to allow safe ingress/egress. Bumpers, grilles, lights and trim may be removed. Side mirrors and tail/stop lights are not required.  Grilles and trim pieces may be modified, removed, or replaced with a replica of alternate material. Bumpers not integral to the bodywork, and their associated mounting hardware, may be modified or removed. Bumpers integral to the bodywork may be modified or replaced with replicas of alternate material. Modified or replica bumpers must be of similar shape as standard components, and not confuse the identity of the vehicle. Lights may be modified or removed, provided any remaining openings must be covered with a wire mesh screen or panel of fiberglass, metal, or similar non-flammable material.  Side mirrors may be removed or modified.

*This rule seems way too subjective to be enforceable.

10. Improve coordination of regional, divisional and national event scheduling to avoid schedule conflicts and promote higher attendance.  Since the event scheduling process is not currently defined in the rules, this suggestion has been forwarded to the RXB as an operational improvement recommendation.

* Not necessary to be in the rules, but is a good idea to keep in mind when scheduling events, though I know locally with us, the RX group is the last to finalize our schedule for this very reason, and yet it's a small percentage of our participation that is affected by schedule conflicts. 

11. Rotate the location of the National Championship every year, similar to the Runoffs. Since the process for determining the location of the RXNC is not currently defined in the rules, this suggestion has been forwarded to the RXB for consideration.

* Again, agree, not a rules thing - and why should it ever be?

*****LATE ADDITION*****

12.  No retreads or remanufatured tires (or "tyres") allowed in stock class.  All tires must be able to be legally driven in the United States and marked with an official US DOT Tire Identification number that identifies the tire as US DOT approved as explained here:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=172

* Given the blantant exploitation of a "loophole" at nationals this year, I think this rule change deserves to be put in as a late-add "error & omission".

• Bee Thao

Stock Class Wheels:  I do not like the proposed changes because I feel it complicates the rules more than necessary.  While the onus is on the competitor to prove compliance, an alignment of the rallycross Stock Class wheel allowances to the autocross Street Class wheel allowances is preferred.  Such an alignment would allow autocrosser/rallycrossers to remember fewer rule sets and purchase fewer wheel sets.  Future alignments of the rules would potentially allow the rallycross sport to grow by inviting the already potent community of autocrossers.

Modified Class:  Please allow tube framed cars in modified (I've already voiced my opinions in an earlier post), and do not change the rules to make cars "more presentable".  First, just because a car "looks" ugly or non-stock doesn't mean that we won't be able to draw sponsorship.  Sponsorship is based on marketability and viewership.  There is currently very little viewership at the local rallycross events.  Second, if a car is competing and his a cone or rut which rips of the car's bumper, then that car should be immediately disqaulified because it no longer has a "presentable" appearance due to missing body-work.  That is a silly logical extreme but I will use it at an event to prove a point.  Along the same lines, I don't like washing my car.  If my car has to be presentable for sponsorship "competition" photos, then I'll have to wash my car before every event, and fix the peeling paint and crash damage; neither of these costs are something I am willing to justify for grassroots racing.

Passengers:  I am torn regarding the use of passengers.  For drivers who legally require a passenger, I say grant a waiver to allow them to drive solo if they have prior racing experience. If they are racing at the national level then they obviously know how to drive.  For people who just want to have passengers, create additional classes (Co-driver classes) where the additional ballast or wisdom of the "non-competitor" passenger can be contained.  This would also allow Stage Rally teams to prepare for rally sprints and stage rallies.  furthermore, I feel that the promotion of the rallycross sport to new people and spectators during national-level competition never out-weighs the benefit of beating my fellow competitors because my car is lighter with one less passenger.  Instead, we should allow time for passenger fun runs prior to the event on a different course or at the end of the competition days.  Growing the sport is nice, but don't let it interfere with the reason we're all out there: competition.  Competition is fun, but beating the competition is even more fun.

• Maxwell Lawson

Probably too little and way too late for suggested rule changes but I have a couple that I posted already (not under this particular thread):

1.  Lower bumper lip removal should be legal in stock classes.  Story - I ran in prepared sans the lower lip at nationals but brought the lip and mounting hardware just in case someone challenged our car (no one did but everyone knows how it can be).  I realize I run in prepared but the lower bumper lip issue is a problem for certain cars in all classes.  I was positive there was a rule allowing removing the fender liners and skid guards (though for the life of me I can't find it... maybe it was added early this year?).  I propose just adding 'lower bumper lip' to the list. 

2.  Retread tires are NOT-legal in stock classes.  Story - see SF at nationals. 

Sorry if this is too late for consideration.  If 1. isn't added I'll just make sure to bring my lip to nationals again next year just in case (no biggie).  I do think 2. should be at least considered for 2016 as if not addressed quickly there may be several other stock competitors investing in trick retreads with DOT stamped on them. 

thanks all. 

• Maxwell Lawson

Susan just told me the fender liner rule is for prepared cars which is probably why I couldn't find it under the stock section of the rules.  Yep.  

• Dustin Etheredge

My 3 cents.

6.2.C. VEHICLE CLASSIFICATION - Stock  Category4.d.  Driver restraints and roll cage may be added. Modification (or removal if modification is not reasonable) of interior panels and seat parts necessary for proper installation of driver restraints and roll cages is permitted.

Please Define "Not Reasonable" one mans skill and budget may allow more than another in modification or if not reasonable.

Venue are hard enough to find. Allowing louder exhaust systems will make it that much harder or limit those with such systems from some venues.

YES YES YES! The UTV market is growing. Yes they need arm restraint and or FULL nets and panels to keep limbs inside (most that race already do) UTV's have run with other RX programs and with other Rally groups without issue. Most of the current UTV racing is wheel to wheel and most owners don't want to take that risk. RX is a great event for more UTV drivers than not. Please don't change the rule to allow them and not also invest in marketing to get them to events.

No changes to the Stock Tire DOT rule? Even after Iowa?

I also don't understand why and would change/create a rule that disallows drivers outside of my car class to challenge my car.

• Keith S Lightfoot

OVERVIEW OF 2016 SCCA RALLYCROSS RULE CHANGE PROPOSALS

Below is a summary of proposed 2016 rule changes submitted for member comment. (Additions are in bold underline and deletions are in strikethrough.) Please submit your feedback using this forum by September 15.

1.  Restructure the current rule book to put key event operations and vehicle classification sections in the front portion of the rules and move the administrative sections to the back.  This would make it easier for readers to access information about RallyCross events and vehicle preparation allowances.  Submitted by the RXB.

2.  Change maximum sustained speed from 60 mph to 50 mph.  This creates a more consistent speed progression with RallySprint 1 (60 mph) and RallySprint II (70 mph) guidelines.  This would not prohibit the fastest vehicles from momentarily exceeding 50 mph, but would require that courses be designed to avoid sustained speeds over 50 mph.  Submitted by the RXB.

5.3 COURSE SAFETY AND LAYOUT RULES

Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed 40 mph (miles per hour) for Stock category vehicles and should not normally exceed 50 60 mph for any vehicle.

5.2.C. EVENT OPERATING RULES

Competitors Passengers are not allowed as passengersduring competition runs in National Events.

Option A:

12. Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:  Wheels must be of the same diameter and width as the OEM wheel factory installed, port-installed option, or recommended size listed in the owner’s manual.  Wheel offset (backspace) must be within 0.394” (10mm) of the original equipment wheel offset factory installed, port-installed option, or recommended size listed in the owner’s manual.

Option B:

12. Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:  Wheel diameter may be increased or decreased up to 1” from the OEM wheelWheel width may be increased or decreased up to 0.5” from the OEM wheel. Wheels must be the same diameter and width as the OEM wheel.  Wheel offset (backspace) must be within 0.394” (10mm) of the original equipment wheel offset. Wheel spacers are considered part of the wheel.

5.  Clarify allowances for roll cage installation in Stock categories. This change would allow modification or removal of interior components to accommodate the installation of a roll cages and driver restraints.

4.d.  Driver restraints and roll cage may be added. Modification (or removal if modification is not reasonable) of interior panels and seat parts necessary for proper installation of driver restraints and roll cages is permitted.

6.  Allow the exhaust system to exit behind the driver (current rule) or exit the side of the car (proposed) in Modified categories. This would allow the exhaust to exit to the side of the vehicle ahead of the driver, such as immediately in front or behind the front wheels.

a. The exhaust must exit to the rear of the driver or to the side of the vehicle.

9.  Provide more guidance on the general appearance of Modified category vehicles.  Current rules require that, “The shape of the body must remain recognizable as that of manufacturer’s make and model.”  This revision would provide additional requirements to help make sure vehicles meet minimum body appearance expectations.  For example, the front bumper cover could be replaced or modified, but not removed.

d.  Doors, hoods, trunk lids, sunroofs, hatchbacks, etc., need not function as originally designed; however, the driver door and passenger doors (if a passenger seat is present) must maintain sufficient functionality to allow safe ingress/egress. Bumpers, grilles, lights and trim may be removed. Side mirrors and tail/stop lights are not requiredGrilles and trim pieces may be modified, removed, or replaced with a replica of alternate material. Bumpers not integral to the bodywork, and their associated mounting hardware, may be modified or removed. Bumpers integral to the bodywork may be modified or replaced with replicas of alternate material. Modified or replica bumpers must be of similar shape as standard components, and not confuse the identity of the vehicle. Lights may be modified or removed, provided any remaining openings must be covered with a wire mesh screen or panel of fiberglass, metal, or similar non-flammable material.  Side mirrors may be removed or modified.

11. Rotate the location of the National Championship every year, similar to the Runoffs. Since the process for determining the location of the RXNC is not currently defined in the rules, this suggestion has been forwarded to the RXB for consideration.

• Dustin Etheredge

I think the biggest issue with the tire rule is how little DETAIL is there. I'm not here to debate the tires on Josh's MINI. I'm here in hope that mess in Iowa cleans up the rules and gives more details allowing people to pass judgement based on the "letter of the law" not the "spirit".

I do think the rule needs to be changed about car class issue. No reason what so ever that someone outside of my class should need to file on me. If someone in my class doesnt have the lug nuts or desire to address an issue on my car they need to race with me or go home. I was amazed by the "clubs" that worked together to dance around nick picking cars then running to a driver out of class to have them file. 

• load more replies (2 of 2)
    • Robert M Martin

My $0.02 worth on the proposed rule changes as posted in FasTRack:

1 - no comment

2- if a car goes 51 MPH, how is an organizeer to tell? What is the organizers liability if this were to happen?

3 - I agree with this rule as written. It is also good practice at Regional events.

4 - Why not just "as listed in the Owner's manual or DOT sticker"? We should cover the case where the owner does not have an Owner's Manual and the B pillar staicker can act as a substitute.

5 - Sounds good as long as people don't go too far, as in removing all rear seat and trim to make way for a rollbar. So, knowing that they will go too far, you might add in something like "only to the minimum extent needed".

6 - I always wanted to do just this but I also don't want to breathe the fumes. The exhaust should exit behind the driver for safety reasons.

7 - Define a "tube". Define a "frame". Good luck!!! Because every unibody car is, from the factory, a "tube" frame vehicle!

8 - Yes! I'll even volunteer to help define the rules.

9 - Is the intent to limit modifications in Modified class to the recommended definitions? They seem to be more appropriate for a super-prepared class than a modified class. What about rolled fenders and fender flares? What about aerodynamic aides? What about modifications needed to give clearance for other allowed modifications, such as a bash plate? What about modifications allowed on rally cars for other organizations and the car wants to run with us? 

Thanks for your time and effort on working on the rule chnages!

Bob Martin

• Mark Macoubrie

Disregard what was written.  I could not figure out how to delete.

• Danny L Thomas

I noticed that a Miata can run with a hardtop attached, would that carry over to a MGB or Spitfire? I have a MGB with a fiberglass top and a street rollbar, just wondering if it would be allowed.

Thanks

Danny Thomas

• Keith S Lightfoot

Hi, Danny. Convertibles are eligible to compete if they have a factory hardtop in place.  Also, rollbars are allowed in all classes.

Keith LIghtfoot

SCCA RallyCross Rules Committee Chair

• Dustin Etheredge

After my 1st time at RX Nats this last weekend I can see how important the rules really are to drivers.
      I encourage the group to address the "devils in the details" issue. As with the "tire" issue in SF at Nats. I understand the "spirit of the rule" may have been to keep Rally type tires out of Stock class but that's not what the letters and words of the rule state. We can't judge the spirit of the letter only the letters and words. While I like the overall SCCA RX rules program it like many things will need adjustments. I hope time will be taken to review those "Spirit vs Letter" issues before the next edition is released. Had the letter of the rules been up held this last weekend it would have made life easier for everyone. If the letter of the rule is not followed it opens up Pandora Box of other "spirit of" issues. 

I also don't understand how it's my job if challenged to prove that a products markings are legal. If I'm the customer/buyer of the said product how can I prove or they disprove what the manufacture of a product as or as not done within the laws of a given governing body?

Why can someone outside of my Class challenge my car/class? If I have an issue with someone in my class I need to address it not run to another person outside of my class asking them to do it.

I also encourage you to start a "Truck only Class" The other RX groups I am part of have had success GROWING events with Raptor drivers. Most of them don't have places to run those trucks. While care needs to be given to the "box" rule for roll over most of them are safe to run. However we have found putting them in a current class with other cars is not really much of a competition for the truck drivers since they are for the most part slower than cars in the same classing. Building a class system for them will help grow the sport for many of the local clubs.

I also visited with a driver that shared his idea about a All Season Tire only class. I think that is a great idea and way to GROW the sport at the local level as well. I also think any club using the type of venue we enjoyed in Iowa would be a great place to test the idea. 

• Charles Wright

I too have had trouble with the "spirit of the rules."  I think in this case the rules were sufficient.  The rule for stock class tires says they "must be DOT approved."  It doesn't say they have to have the letters D, O, and T on them.  DOT approval requires that the tire identification number be on the tire as well.  You can read more here.  Additionally the tires should have been protested for being remanufactured.  The stock class tire rule does not allow the subtraction or addition to the original form of the tire.  Here's a short video on how a tire is remolded.  Gray areas are fun to explore.  Unfortunately in this case, these tires were not in the gray area.

Why are folks outside the class allowed to protest?  Because rule 7.3 allows it.  If that needs to be changed, then someone should submit a proposal.  The rules were made by rallycrossers for rallycrossers.  We can change them.

• Pete Remner

I'm not going to comment regarding Stock tires right now since I think my hairline went back an inch over the situation this weekend.

Trucks should be a no go as a national class for one important reason:  At a regional level, all national classes must be offered.   For many sites, however, trucks would be dangerous because the surface conditions would induce a rollover and they are typically disallowed for safety reasons.  So effectively, we would be allowing regions to pick and choose what classes to offer when they are specifically not allowed to do so per the rules.

All trucks currently fit the existing class structure, and furthermore there already is a provision for regions to create classes to meet local demand.

• Brian Battocchi

I'm a little late to the party but feel I should speak for the other side of modified appearance. Last year I drove a modified car that would fit right in with demo derby or chump cars. I have included pictures below. I feel that the modified class should be just that. Modified. It should encourage modification. Same goes for tube frame and one off vehicles. After all GRC cars are tube frame prototypes. I do not feel rallycross is about appearance. I feel it is about racing, fun, and community.  If it's safe, I think it should be allowed.  My car recieved tons of positive responses, while only two were negative.  Frankly, I think it looks better than when it was purchased.  Who cares what it looks like.  Even with the rule changes one could still make a horribly ugly car. Just my .02

[IMG]http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii354/youngbuck5757/PERSONAL/2014-05-03_14-15-49_207.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii354/youngbuck5757/PERSONAL/2014-07-19_12-14-14_437.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii354/youngbuck5757/PERSONAL/Buick%20RallyX%20Final%20Event%202014.jpg[/IMG]